Do you want to know how to get rid of ringworm fast and permanently? You have come to the right page.
Here I’ll let you know each and everything related to this condition and how to get rid of it using natural remedies.
Table of Contents
What is Ringworm?
A condition in which there is itching on the skin and has small circular (ring-like) patches, is called ringworm. It is caused by a number of scalp or feet affecting fungi. The most common form is an athlete’s foot.
Bellow picture will give you an overview of how it looks like:
It is a contagious infection caused by the parasites (mold-like) which live on the outer layer of the skin. The following could be the causes of its spreading:
- Direct skin to skin contact with an infected person
- Through contact with infected animals especially pets (dogs, cats, cows)
- It can also be transferred through contact with an infected soil
- By sharing things which are in touch with an infected person/animal
If your immune system is weak then you are also at high risk of getting this infection from others.
The question is, how do you know if you have ringworm?
To get the answer to this question, read the common symptoms of it.
- Itching on the skin
- Ring-shaped red spots on the skin
- Hair loss in the infected area (if there are hairs)
- Defined and raised patches on the skin
You are going to see the symptoms within 4 to 14 days of the contact of the infection i.e ringworm-causing fungi. (1)
Along with symptoms, it is also my responsibility to inform you about different types of ringworm.
Types of Ringworm
There is no specific place on the skin where it shows the signs or symptoms but it can appear anywhere from head to toe.
See this infographic to learn about different types.
I hope now you have an overview of the condition so now let’s come to our main point.
How to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast and Permanently?
There is a saying:
Prevention is Better than Cure
Keeping this in mind avoid the above-mentioned causes.
Now what, if you are already affected and have ringworm? Below are some remedies for humans.
1. Apply Antifungal Product
This is the initial step you should take and the great thing is you don’t even have to visit the doctor.
Go to the drugstore near your house or online to purchase an antifungal product. It could be cream, lotion or powder.
Some common medications include:
- Terbinafine (Lamisil)
- Miconazole (Cruex)
- Clotrimazole (Canesten)
You can apply the product to the infected area 2-3 times a day. Before applying, make sure that you clean the area. Apply it regularly and you’ll see the infection has started healing.
2. Don’t be too Conscious
I have seen many people being more conscious and bandaging the infected area tight to stop the spreading of the infection. For a normal person, it seems logical but according to the medical point of view, it isn’t.
Instead of bandaging hard and wearing tight clothes, dress up normally without being too conscious.
3. Don’t Let it Grow
Don’t give the infection ideal conditions to grow and spread.
Here I mean, wet areas help in growing the infection. So, change all your clothes daily and here I mean everything (shirt, pants, underwear, socks, etc).
Take a regular bath and make yourself completely dry before wearing new clothes. Dry conditions are not suitable for the infection to grow.
4. Use Antifungal Shampoo
Use this only if the infection is in the scalp area. But, how do you know if the infection is in the scalp?
Following are the signs of scalp infection:
- Itching in the scalp
- Too much Dandruff
- Hair Loss Patches (mostly due to dandruff)
These antifungal shampoos help in killing all the infections and stop the spreading.
Don’t want to use antifungal shampoo? No problem, the solution is below…
- Take about 500ml water and add 2 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar into it
- Shake it well and then apply it on your scalp properly
- Leave it for about an hour and then wash it off with your normal shampoo
This technique is very beneficial in getting rid of all fungal infections like Dandruff. Just give it a try and you will be very satisfied.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Ringworm Fast
Now I am going to discuss some of the natural remedies which will also help you a lot.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
This is a very effective home remedy to get rid of ringworm fast.
How to apply?
- Apply the aloe vera gel on the infected area and leave it for some time (minimum 30 minutes) and then wash it
- For maximum results apply the gel at night before going to sleep and wash it in the morning
- Do it regularly 1-2 times a day and you’ll see the desired results
Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties and it helps in the spreading of the condition.
How to Apply?
- Take 1-2 garlic cloves (according to the infected area) and mix it with 1 tablespoon of both honey and olive oil
- Mix it completely and apply the paste on the infected area
- Apply it daily minimum 2-3 times for about 1 week
This is a proven and quick effecting natural remedy and right after the first use, you will start seeing the noticeable results.
Turmeric has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antifungal and antimicrobial properties and is used for hundreds of years in traditional as well as natural medicine. (2)
It not only inhibits the growth of fungal infection (ringworm) but also kills it instantly.
How to Apply?
- Make a thick paste (according to the requirement) of it by adding some water into it
- Apply it on the infected area using a cotton swab
- After applying, leave it to dry for about 30-45 minutes
- After that, wash it off with normal water
- Apply it daily 2 times for at least 1 week to get rid of ringworm
The Bottom Line!
Don’t take ringworm lightly and take a quick action to stop the spreading. You must take into consideration that you never share your personal items like Towels, Clothes, and Brushes with others.
As I have mentioned above, prevention is better than cure so try to stick to it and it will help you in getting rid of not only ringworm but each and every condition quickly.
Usama Azam is a 1st-year medical student and a professional blogger. He writes on natural treatments about health and medical conditions. To know more about him visit About page.